SEMA Cares ’67 Camaro to Be Auctioned at Barrett-Jackson for Charity
By Nick Barajas
Sponsored by WD-40, this year’s SEMA Cares build project—a ’67 Camaro—will be auctioned at Barrett-Jackson, January 12–20, in Scottsdale, Arizona.
Since 2007, SEMA Cares has done its part to give back to the community and help those in need. To kick off 2019, SEMA Cares looks to bring in a generous donation to benefit Childhelp at the Barrett-Jackson collector car auction, January 12–20, in Scottsdale, Arizona. This year’s build project, sponsored by WD-40, has been underway for nearly a full calendar year. According to Luis Morales, SEMA Garage visual product data specialist, the process began in October 2017 when the ’67 Chevy Camaro was delivered to the SEMA Garage.
Restoring a 50-year-old vehicle has not been an easy task. According to Morales, some of the primary challenges with this project have been fitment, sourcing parts, a motor swap and a new frame. To get the word out, the SEMA Garage has posted updates on its Facebook and Instagram pages throughout the entire build process.
Morales is optimistic the Camaro will be an attractive piece at Barrett-Jackson.
“We are expecting a large crowd and higher attention, due to the extensive amount of aftermarket products that will be installed on the vehicle.”
The 1967 Chevrolet Camaro has been assigned Charity Lot 3004, and will cross the block Thursday, January 17, 2019, at approximately 7:30 p.m. (PST).
The SEMA Garage has received several contributions from SEMA-member companies, including:
- Auto Custom Carpets: trunk lid cover, trunk carpet, interior carpet, sound deadeners, floor mats
- BGR Motorsports: engine wiring
- DEI Powersports: heat shielding products, interior sound deadening
- Distinctive Industries and Roadwire Leather Interiors: seats and custom interior paneling
- MagnaFlow: custom exhaust
- NRG Innovations: deep dish suede steering wheel, carbon-fiber quick-release hub adaptor
- Rotofab: carbon-fiber plenum cover, LS3 engine covers
Founded in 1959 by Sara O’Meara and Yvonne Fedderson, the purpose of Childhelp has been the prevention and treatment of child abuse and neglect. Since its establishment, Childhelp has grown to become one of the nation’s leading nonprofit organizations.